It was around 11am. I began my usually work in the dietary departments office. Then, oops, my cell phone rings. It's an unknown number. I quickly explain to my co-worker, "Sorry, I need to take this". I didn't NEED to take it but, I sure acted like I was expecting an important call. To my surprise it was a nurse for the OGI clinics I plan to visit in April. She confirmed it was me on the other end and continued to tell me my insurance, the insurance I was assured would cover my long awaited appointment, denied coverage. Shocked and nervous I asked what she meant. Apparently, PreferredOne doesn't cover this type of service. I remain calm, swallow the lump in my throat, and continued listening. She went on to mention that we will be responsible for a $315.00 fee on the day of our appointment Pd in Full! I inform the nice lady that I was indeed assured that my insurance company would cover this appointment and thanked her for her call. "Good bye"
Holding back the tears because I'm at work and big girls don't cry at work, I began texting Scott. He was at work and I knew I wouldn't hear from him for several hours. I filled him in on the situation and ask that he call PerferredOne as soon as he gets home to straighten this mess out.
3:00~Scott calls. We talked about the call and he feels bad that I had to receive that call at work as he knows how sensitive I am, especially to IF and the threat of having to cancel this appointment for the second time. I give him the phone numbers and account numbers as I have our one insurance card in my purse (mine was stolen along with my purse and we have yet to get a second copy).
4:00~Scott calls again. Good news. It was all a misunderstanding. Apparently, when I called my Doc. for the referral to OGI she dated it all wrong causing mass confusion amongst everyone. All we have to do now is ask for another referral for the date of our appointment and to out date it for six months or so. It gets better, as I understand it the insurance will not only cover our first appointment (as previously thought) they'll cover all appointments and tests up to a diagnosis! This is a great thing!
That was not the start to my day as I would have liked, but Ill take the outcome anytime.
No comments:
Post a Comment