Monday, July 26, 2010

Updates and Broken Dreams

...I might be overly dramatic here.

On Thursday when I returned to work, after a long vacation, I found out some pretty interesting news.

Lets start from the beginning.

June 26th, my boss comes in on a Saturday to tell me I am being laid-off sometime mid-late August.

Fast forward 3 weeks (because my boss thought tell me this literally right before she leaves for a 3 week vacation, would be a convenient time~highly frustrating)

In that time I have no way of getting the answers to questions I so desperately need in order to start my life...with something(s) new. So, in three weeks time I make plans. I make decisions. I feel good (excited) about leaving mid-late August.

Ok July 22nd. Nearly a month after being told of the lay-off. And keeping it hush-hush from my co-workers, a cook of mine comes to me asking about a "rumor". I try and play dumb, "what rumor"..."August 1st?"

"WHAT'S August first!?!?!??!" Now, I'm thinking Oh my, I thought I had more time, and I must admit the thoughts of YEAH!! IMA OUTTA HERE!! were in their too.

She mouths the words "laid off" and I nod (that spelling doesn't look right) 'yes'.

Then quite dramatically she says, "I am VERY upset about this!"

I laughed...'cause I am NOT!

Obviously, the cat is out of the bag, but it's a rumor. Which is even MORE dangerous.

I go to my office and start talking with my other team lead. I ask if she has heard anything about my job. To my surprise she has but can say anything (ERRR, JUST TELL ME! THIS IS MY LIFE HERE!!!) All she does say is that this is the best news she had heard in along time! OH, crap my job is safe...that was my first thought! Now, what?!

She calls Paula (boss lady) to call me back and talk to me. She does and she tells me that the lay-off is being extended until I leave on maternity....Great news? Sure, if I wasn't told and believed my life here at the hospital would be over in one more month! But I'm still out!! Just not as soon as I would have liked.

So, to make the leave easier I have been allowing myself to find all the things I hate about my job...and in 3 weeks that list got pretty darn long.
If I had known I wouldn't be out until late November, I wouldn't have created the list until mid-November! Who would think of all the reasons they hate about their job that they would be stuck with, on purpose?? NO ONE! Now, that list and the reasons on it are surrounding me all the days I'm there! Pecking at me, peck peck!

Thank goodness I'm only PT! That's the only thing keeping my hair on my head and not in my cold, clenched, fists...

Is it bad that I'm hoping to be put on bed rest so I can leave even sooner?? (Please know, I'm joking)
Or that I'm planning on leaving for maternity leave 19 days (Nov. 21st) before my due date because I want to be sure I get all of Thanksgiving off?
Actually, no it's not bad. It's my Holiday off and I'm being terminated anyway.

Can I start my maternity leave in October???

So that's it. My latest work soap opera story. I swear four happen a day there!

No comments: