Monday, May 10, 2010

Heartbeat



(image is not my baby, but very similar to what we saw)

I experienced the most amazing thing that words do not do justice. At nine weeks of pregnancy we saw our baby for the first time. Beating heart and all.

One week prior my heart sank. I was convinced I was seeing the beginning stages of a miscarriage or signs of an ectopic pregnancy. I made an appointment for the following Wednesday and an ultrasound the next Monday.

As I have written before the appointment calmed my fears.

Back to the most amazing sight.

At 1pm Scott and I went into Radiology and waited (im)patiently for 1:15. In my head I prayed for a heartbeat, just a heartbeat that's all I need. The prayer continued as our name was called. We walked into the u/s room. I put on the gown and sat on the table. I had prepared myself for the worst. How we tell family/friends/co-workers (The Worst Case Scenario Plan: Scott would do all the dirty work as I lay in bed). But I was not prepared for what we were about to see.

After waiting a few more moments I was getting anxious. I needed to know, NOW. The u/s tech(s) came in and soon we saw our baby. With a fluttering heart in the center of his/her chest I began to cry. Our babies life was verified. It's real, baby is real. And I am in awe of what we see.

It was surreal. I couldn't believe this was our baby. The baby we have loved and prayed and wanted for so long. Finally, baby is here and ours.

The u/s tech took some pictures of the baby and my babymaker. Moving the probe up, down, left, right. Unfortunately, they were out of printer paper and I wont have my babes first picture for some weeks now.

Simply amazing. The second best part was seeing our baby move. Every so often the baby would do a quick little quiver like he/she was doing a sit up. The legs and arms were there and his/her head was as big as his/her body. Can this little baby be that cute already!? I love this little child so much. I can only imagine how much that love will grow as time goes by. I'm sure I can't even fathom the love I will feel for him/her the day he/she is born. And all the days to come.

I thank God every morning, every night and I praise Him all day long. My years of waiting has finally come to an end. This IS the best time of life (so far).

Extra Facts:

160 heart rate

dime size

due date, Dec. 8th

1 comment:

Erickson Family said...

Yay soooo awesome!! What a very exciting time! :)