Wednesday, August 26, 2009

CCEFP/NFPA Conference


A month or so ago my sister invited me to travel with her to Chicago for a conference and student retreat. My purpose would be to take pictures of the students, the conference, meetings, basically anything worth snapping a picture of. I was a little nervous at first, to agree to go, but what the heck! Why wouldn't I? Free travel, lodging, food (plus free wine) and an awesome opportunity to spend time with my sister and maybe make some new friends.
On Sunday, August 16th at 7am (or was it 8) we left St. Paul to arrive in Chicago around 3pm. I wasn't at all concerned about the drive. You put Lyss and I in a car, with a radio, cds or ipods, you're asking for a party! (we have adopted the phrase "party bus" when referring to our travel traditions) Anyway, 8 short hours later...WE'RE THERE! We unpack, get settled in to our rooms and it's time for the scavenger hunt. Lyss put together this hunt to give the students a chance to mingle and meet everybody.



The teams were made. They had on their "flair". They knew what they were looking for. We loaded into 3 or 4 or 5 vehicles and now the long drive into downtown Chicago begins....the traffic was crazy but the "party bus" came to the rescue! If you can't stand load music with even louder girls...it's best you take another car.

We spent about a total of 5 hours in downtown Chicago, not enough in my opinion. The teams scattered and we (lyss and I) walked around with no agenda other then food. At nearly 9 pm we met up with teams at Starbucks (the one at the corner of State and Ohio (?) Or was it Iowa). It was now our turn to look through all the hilarious and cleaver pictures the students took to prove they had indeed met the scavenger hunts challenges. That night we put together a slide show to be shown at Mondays meeting.

We met the students bright and early the next day to drive over to the Westin hotel. After we found our conference room, breakfast was served (amazing buffet-I do not like scramble egg white). Lyss gave a brief agenda for the day and played the slide show. The students then put together projects that will soon be in every schools science(?) classroom. I had such a fun time photographing them. The students, who are all grad students in an engineering field, were hilarious to watch. Like kids in a candy a store! Nerds! (JK). After the models were put together Lunch was ready (AMAZING FOOD again!). After lunch, the students were ready for "speed meetings". Three hours of talking for them, three hours of picture taking of them talking for me (I was a little bored at this time). After the speed meetings, all the junk we brought with us was loaded back up in to the vehicles and we were ready to head back the Hyatt. But the night wasn't over yet. Alyssa had arranged for everyone to meet at the racing track were everyone was given the chance to test their lead foot...out of 38 racer...I was dead last. I don't like speed! Again, amazing food! Finally, the long day was coming to an end. We got back to our rooms and in bed, under the covers before 10!...But all this was only Monday.


Tuesday, bright and early we all meet down in the lobby, drove to the Westin, ate an awesome breakfast. And the pictures begin again. This time the pictures focused on the poster presentation and the conversation the posters started. Also, at the same time speakers were presenting in other rooms. I had to move constantly. Trying to get the perfect shot...unsuccessful most of the time. (dark rooms do not help) Thank goodness for tri-pods. The day was looooooong. But ended nicely with a hors d'oeuvres and wine social then a catered dinner...more wine and cheesecake dessert :) Again, like the night before we were in bed before 10.



Wednesday, the day of departure. We headed home at 8am...A week ago already! I had so much fun and now hope that the CCEFP wants me to do the same thing in North Carolina in October! Finger crossed!

No comments: